The new PE curriculum will provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident which will support their overall health and fitness. We will develop their understanding and confidence in leading a healthy lifestyle and will ensure pupils are physically active for sustained periods of time. The curriculum encourages opportunties for pupils to engage in competitive sports and other activities that build character and help embed values such as fairness and respect.
We teach the children about fitness and health by building on their natural enthusiasm for movement.
We use our grounds and physical resources to help the children explore and learn about their world, and we teach skills in physical development that enable them to work and play with other pupils in pairs and small groups.
By watching, listening and experimenting, they develop their skills in movement and coordination, and enjoy expressing and testing themselves in a variety of situations.
Knowledge, skills and understanding
1. Acquiring and developing skills - Pupils are taught to explore basic skills, actions and ideas with increasing understanding and to remember/repeat simple skills/actions with increasing control and coordination.
2. Selecting and applying skills, tactics and compositional ideas - Pupils are taught to explore how to choose and apply skills and actions in sequence and in combination as well as vary the way they perform skills by using simple tactics and movement phrases and also to apply rules and conventions for different activities.
3. Evaluating and improving performance - Pupils are taught to describe what they have done, to observe/describe/copy what others have done and to use what they have learnt to improve the quality and control of their work.
4. Knowledge and understanding of fitness and health - Pupils are taught how important it is to be active and to recognise & describe how their bodies feel during different activities.
5. Breadth of study - Pupils will be taught the knowledge, skills and understanding through dance activities, games activities and gymnastic activities.